I am serving the Lord as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, in the Nevada Reno Mission. Follow my blog as I set out on the greatest adventure I could possibly experience at this time in my life!

Monday, August 20, 2012

The Longest Week of My Life, and One of the Best!

Hello Family!!
 
This has been the longest week of my life, and one of the best! The first few days were quite stressful, figuring out how to live each day all scheduled out, but I feel like I get so much done every day. It's GREAT!! Yes, Sis Michaud (pronounced Mih-Show) is my companion, she is the one we met at the Sister Missionary Mall. There is one other sister missionary companionship in our district, Sister Mortensen- from Lehi, and Sister Verkist from Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. She is Jill Huntsman's niece. Small world! The elders in our district are pretty much all from Utah..
 
The first day here we all attended a teaching experience where the whole group of new missionaries taught an investigator. It was a bit rough- but I am learning that it is more effective to be thrown into teaching then to be taught how to do it correctly, because then I have first hand experience with doing it wrong and can apply the correct strategies better! But, boy is it hard! We teach our teachers as "investigators" every day. We started on the second day we were here! I can tell you that the teaching has gone far better since that first time. We have also taught an "investigator" and a "less-active" at the TRC. The first lesson with the investigator was rough, she wanted us to tell her where in the Bible it said that God had a body of flesh and bones... so the next lesson we had with her we taught her about faith first and then incorporated that God has a body into that. She needs to have faith in what we are teaching rather than teaching strictly by logic. She looked so happy at the end of the lesson, and I felt so much love for her. I always wondered how I could love the people I will meet on my mission, as I've always heard RMs talk about how they loved the people so much.  I am now beginning to understand, I can truly love the people I teach!
 
One of my teachers said this: When you love your investigators more than yourself, that is when you can really serve them.
 
On Sunday we watched a video of a fireside Elder Scott gave at the MTC. I don't know when, but he talked about prayer- and all the sisters in my district agreed that we really needed to hear that right then. I have said more prayers this week that I can count. One of the teachers also suggested to pray for our companion while they are talking when we teach an investigator. So, we tried that. AND IT WORKS!! I have seen it in our lessons, I may not be able to get the conversation going in the direction it needs to, but if I pray for my companion, sometimes she is the one that can get the conversation or message to the point that the person needs to hear. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it is SO AMAZING.
 
There have been some ups and downs each day, and I feel like I'm really struggling to learn at times, or even just to stay awake, but I know that this is all making me a better person and preparing me to serve the people in Nevada. There is an analogy here I have heard that really descirbes the MTC very well I think. The MTC is like trying to drink from a fire hydrant. You can try to drink the water but most of it will just get your face wet. There is just SO MUCH to learn (I have to admit I'm glad I don't have to learn a language on top of it all).  
 
One of our investigators made this analogy when we were teaching about faith: Faith is like a microwave. We can't see it cooking, but when you pull it out you know that it's done because it's hot. and you trust it will work each time you push the buttons.
 
Well, my time is running short, I wish I could share everything with you but I can't. I KNOW this GOSPEL is true!
I love you all,
SIster Lori Goodwin

No comments:

Post a Comment