I am serving the Lord as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, in the Nevada Reno Mission. Follow my blog as I set out on the greatest adventure I could possibly experience at this time in my life!

Monday, October 22, 2012

Carson City

Hello family!

I hope all is going well! I am having a great time here in Carson City! A lot of the work is still getting to know the members and less-actives, especially those with part member families! We have gotten a few referrals from the members that we will hopefully be meeting this week!

Our first "real" lesson was yesterday with an 8 year old girl named G----. She is super shy, and super sweet. We taught her about how God is our Heavenly Father and the importance of praying to Him. We also taught about prophets, and that prophets are important because they teach us what Heavenly Father wants us to know. We brought 2 girls from the ward with us (and their grandma). The girls are E---- and M----, they are 8 and 10. I was so impressed by them, E---- could have taught everything we prepared all on her own, she is really amazing. And M---- shared a scripture about Lehi following what the Lord told him to do. Which was a perfect way to bring up the Book of Mormon. I then gave G---- her own copy of the Book of Mormon, and she seemed excited that I gave it to her!
G----'s dad is an inactive member and her mom isn't  a member. And they only allow us to come over every other Sunday to teach. That worries me because we need to follow up on G----'s prayers and reading. And once every 2 weeks is a long time between lessons! So, we asked E---- and M---- to talk to her at school and see how she is doing. We gave the 2 girls pass along cards as well to share with their other friends as well! I think they both with be really good missionaries when they grow up.

The rest of the week, like I said, was visits to members. But, those have been great experiences as well. One lady was telling us about her experiences with dreams that warn her about health problems in her family. She is also very aware of others emotions, even when she is just in the same room with them and can give them advice they need, even if she doesn't know what they are going through specifically. So I felt prompted to share the scripture in the Doctrine & Covenants about the gifts God has given us. I told her that this is a gift she has been given, because she sees gifts as the talents we can all see- singing, playing piano, ect... and she felt like she didn't have any gifts. But when I told her that what she shared with us was a gift she asked me: "Do you really believe that?" I told her that I honestly believe it. She hadn't ever seen it as a gift and for the moment she started talking in that visit I could tell that was a gift she has. Oh, I just felt so happy when we left her home. The Lord is putting the thoughts in my mind, feelings in my heart, and words in my mouth that I can share with others, the things that they need! I am so grateful for this time I have to be here serving the Lord! I love being a missionary!
Thank you for all your support and prayers! I love you all!

Love,
Sister Goodwin

No comments:

Post a Comment